How Do I Get Rid of Fleas?

In order to solve a flea problem, you need to get a little basic information about what a flea is.  (We’ll keep this short and simple- we promise.)

First off, even though you may think you’ve got tons of fleas you don’t know the half of it! In fact adult fleas make up only 5% of what’s in your house?!?  The other 95% are not yet grown or hatched and so they’re not visible yet.  (yuck..!!)

Without going too deep into the scientific mumbo-jumbo, the 4 stages to the flea reproductive cycle are below.
 

  • Adult Fleas can lay up to 50 eggs a day.
  • Eggs sit anywhere and evolve into Larvae.
  • Larvae grow into Pupae.
  • Pupae emerge as Adult fleas and start the party all over again.
The 4 Stages of the Flea Life Cycle

The 4 Stages of the Flea Life Cycle

You will need a multi-pronged approach to kill the various stages of fleas.  There are a variety of sprays, collars, powders, shampoos, and gels on the market designed to get rid of fleas and we’ll put them into a little perspective for you.

Unfortunately, no one treatment will magically kill all 4 stages, so here’s the best plan of attack:

Killing Adult Fleas:

These live primarily on your buddy.  They can be killed most effectively through topical treatments applied to your pet, or by pills that your pet takes orally.  You could also use a flea collar.

Killing Flea Eggs and Larvae:

These are in your carpet, furniture, bedding, or anywhere else that your little friend claims as their resting spot.  Powders or sprays are a good way to kill them in this stage.

Killing Pupae:

Honestly, we’ve been told by vets that nothing is very effective at killing fleas in this stage.  So, you have to kill them in all other stages and soon enough these will go away too.

Now you can understand why even if you conquer all of the fleas on your animal, the eggs and larvae will soon be hatching and starting the process all over again.  To take it one step further – even if you kill all of the adult fleas *and* the eggs *and* larvae – they can reappear because you let down your guard too soon while the Pupae were just saying ‘Hello World’.   The following pages go into more detail about each kind of product and we’ve researched to find the best rated products in each category.  Armed with a plan of attack you can soon be on your way to a flea-free home.

We’ve developed this site to give you the basic information you need and sort through the thousands of products available to find those that people have been most satisfied with.  For each category of product at the top of the page, we’ve highlighted just a few along with a quick comment or two.  However, if you’re so inclined, you can use the product search page to start your search from scratch.

 

Comments are closed.